S. Evans, the first Post Trader, hauled lumber 300 miles from Fort
Harker, Kansas to build the original store at Fort Sill in 1869.
It was a general store, post office and loafing place for officers,
soldiers, Indians and civilian hangers-on.
Today the Post Trader's Store is
operated by the Friends of Fort Sill, Inc., a non-profit organization,
and is located within the Museum Complex. Profits from the store
help the museum to acquire, maintain and restore items for the
museum's collection. The museum's education programs are also supported
by the Friends of Fort Sill, Inc.
The US Army Field Artillery and
Fort Sill Museum was established on December 10, 1934. Visitors
may journey through the history of the US Field Artillery by viewing
items circa 1775 and progress through until present day. Native
American Buffalo Soldier items are also a part of the museum's